Peak District Landscape Strategy 2023-32
The report, which sought approval for the Peak District Landscape Strategy 2023-32 was presented by the Natural Environment and Rural Economy Manager and the Landscape Architect.
The meeting adjourned at 10.46 due to the sounding of the fire alarm and reconvened at 11.00.
Cllr Gregory left the meeting at 11.00.
Members congratulated Officers on the document, which it was agreed was an excellent read as well as an exemplary piece of work.
Members made the following suggestions
- There may be benefit in producing a summary document or an interactive map, to point users towards the content that is particularly relevant to them.
- A long-term view should be taken regarding the management of the trees and the effect of new trees on ecosystems which ties in with the recently approved Wooded Landscape Plan.
- The document sets out the impact of people on the National Park, e.g. damage to walls, increased car parking, but this was not incorporated into the strategy so would need to be picked up elsewhere.
- Further consideration should be given to how the aims of the strategy will be achieved and monitored. Members should then be informed how the issues set out in the strategy are addressed.
- There is no mention of the damage done to the landscape by off road vehicles.
- The Landscape Strategy contributes to the vision of the recently approved National Park Management Plan 2023-28 rather than having its own vision.
- GIS could be used to monitor loss of dry-stone walls.
A motion to approve the recommendations as set out in the report was moved, seconded, put to the vote and carried.
To adopt the revised Landscape Strategy 2023-32, subject to any further amendments arising from outstanding consultation responses, acceptance of which is delegated to the Head of Landscape in consultation with the Authority’s Chair and Deputy Chair.
- Landscape Strategy Committee Report, item 99/22 PDF 303 KB
- Appendix 1- Landscape Strategy 2022 - FINAL COLLATED, item 99/22 PDF 3 MB
- Appendix 1A- Table of Guidelines, item 99/22 PDF 758 KB
- Appendix 1B Map of Landscape Character Areas & LC Types - Replacement Document for non working links in Appendix 1, item 99/22 PDF 3 MB